Rebels begin evacuating Homs enclave of al-Wair
Syrian rebels and their families are leaving their last remaining enclave in Homs, a city once dubbed the capital of the revolution. Buses have begun transporting people out of al-Wair district, under a Russian-backed evacuation deal.
Al-Wair is home to an estimated 75,000 people and has been under siege by government forces since late 2013. Homs Governor said, about 1,500 people will leave for the Aleppo countryside. The opposition Homs Media Centre says up to 15,000 people could leave in the coming weeks.
The evacuation is part of a deal reached between community leaders and the government in December 2015. Hundreds of rebels have previously left al-Wair under its terms, but implementation of the agreement had stalled in recent months.
You might also like
London, March 18: India has pushed for inclusion of the sustained support for terrorism and radical extremism as one of the grounds for disqualification of a member state from the
In Nigeria, 35 people have died and 28 others injured after a truck lost control on a highway between Yola and Ngurore. Police say the speeding truck had been loaded
A policeman was injured in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district today during an encounter between security forces and terrorists. A police official informed that on the basis of specific inputs about
In US, Senate confirmed President Donald Trump’s choice to appoint an Indian-American woman to run the government health program for the elderly, poor and disabled. The Senate yesterday voted 55-43
In US, a Sikh man has been injured when an unidentified person shot him outside his home in the Washington state and allegedly shouted go back to your own country.