Iran’s Rouhani to run for second term: vice-president
Tehran: Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani has decided to run for re-election in May, the vice-president for parliamentary affairs said today, according to state news agency IRNA.
“In recent weeks, Mr Rouhani has reached a conclusion to take part in the presidential elections,” Hosseinali Amiri told reporters.
Rouhani, a 68-year-old moderate who has pushed for greater social freedoms and improved ties with the West, has been widely expected to run for a second term but has yet to formally announce his candidature for the May 19 election.
He remains popular for stabilising the economy and ending sanctions through a nuclear deal with world powers, although many feel the economic benefits have not trickled down and he has failed in his efforts to release political dissidents from jail.
The conservative camp has so far failed to settle on an obvious challenger to Rouhani, who sits atop a relatively unified coalition of moderates and reformists.
Iran has no formal political parties, just loose alliances, often making it difficult for politicians to agree on a candidate.
The conservatives have sought to address this problem with a new primary-style system. Some 3,000 loyalists gathered last week to create a short list of potential candidates with a view to eventually rallying around a single figure.
Meanwhile, the only person to throw their hat in the ring has been Hamid Baghaie, a former deputy to hardline president Mahmud Ahmadinejad who ruled between 2005 and 2013 but fell out of favour with conservatives. Baghaie said he was running as an independent.
Candidates must formally announce their intention to run between April 11 and 15.
You might also like
Finance Ministers and central bank chiefs from the Group of 20 economies will start a meeting in southwestern Germany today. Reports say, all eyes are on whether they can agree
At least nine civilians have been killed after an Afghanistan army commando unit detonated a cache of ordinance found in southern Helmand province. Omar Zwak, spokesman for the provincial governor
In Afghanistan, the death toll in yesterday’s Taliban attack on an army base near Mazar-e-Sharif in Balkh province has risen to more than 130. Most of them are Government soldiers.
China implicated 63,000 people in 45,000 graft cases in 2016. A work report of the Supreme People’s Court today said the defendants included 35 former officials at the provincial and
A ban on laptops and tablets in cabin baggage on flights from Turkey and some countries in the West Asia and North Africa to the US and UK has come
New York, 4 April 2017: United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) regrets the decision by the United States to deny any future funding for its life-saving work the world over. This decision